Tuesday, October 5, 2010

spaghetti squash: where have you been all my life?

so I may not have been eating it out of spite. any vegetable that can claim to give me the same satisfaction as one of my favorite carbs is treading in dangerous waters. I have stopped eating pasta so much lately because I am usually pretty 'go big or go home' when I make it and I'm trying to be good. hello, this is me rambling. So anyways, I bought a big spaghetti squash at TJs and heres what I did with it:

good dinner #2 (we'll call the soup #1, I'm not counting the spinach pesto and ricotta pizza I made the other night because the crust was bad... or the enchiladas that made Ryan sick)


spaghetti squash with meat sauce!
(makes enough for 1 dinner for a hungry person & leftovers for lunch the next day!)

for the squash:
(got this from Emeril)

preheat oven to 375. attempt to cut squash in half. succeed! scoop out seeds and goop in middle. place squash cut side down in pan and add water about half way up sides of squash. cover with foil. roast/bake/whatever for 45 minutes. once squash is cool enough to hold (or don some badass oven mitts), scrape out the 'spaghetti' strands. toss with a little butter and your favorite tomato sauce, or use my recipe below!

for the sauce:
1/2 lb ground turkey
2 cubanelle peppers
1/2 an onion if you have it (I didn't)
couple cloves garlic
2 cans tomatoes (I used no salt added store brand from whole foods, pretty good!)
salt & pepper
any spices you like ( I used oregano & basil)

saute the turkey in a little oil until cooked through. remove from pan. add in onions (if using), garlic and peppers. cook until peppers are soft. add the meat back in and add the tomatoes and spices too. cook until delicious.


(one day I will make something to eat that is also pretty to look at)

5 comments:

  1. Even your recipes are hilariously written. :) I have been trying to get brave enough to try and make spaghetti squash. You just may have given me the courage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa- totally not scary! go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i want some! i LOVE spaghetti squash. i always cooked it in the microwave and it took forever and i never knew how long to cook it.

    i'm definitely going to try out your method. adding it to the grocery list now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, YUM. Is Squash the same as pumpkin?

    ReplyDelete