Monday, October 11, 2010

my weekend

(apple picking with my sister, Ryan, my dad, his girlfriend, her granddaughter (she is the cutest thing ever! I wanted to pick her up so much. She did a lot of dancing for me and held my hand a little though)...so the orchard was basically out of apples which seems so crazy to me but I did get about 5-10...I also got a big cool gourd I'm going to make a birdhouse with and 2 pumpkins, one to decorate with, one to make puree with)
(apple treats friday night, the recipe is here. just an FYI, they taste good with Edy's pumpkin ice cream; also these apples were enormous so we (I) only ate a little less than 1/2 of one)
(sunday breakfast for my husband. its supposed to be cinnamon pull apart bread but I didn't make enough dough so it came out more like munchkins, which is also good I suppose. All you need for it is either biscuit or pizza dough, melted butter (1/2 a stick should do it) and a bowl of cinnamon sugar. You can make them in a bundt pan or muffin tin, in anything flat bottomed it will make some kind of crazy caramel, also not a bad thing. make little dough balls, dip in butter than cinnamon sugar. pour only extra butter and cinnamon sugar mix over the dough balls. bake at 400 until toothpick comes out clean, probably 10-15 minutes. I made some myself poached eggs. I really need to get on making perfect poached eggs)
(this breakfast was the bomb. the recipe is from here. it made 2 portions and I'm not embarassed to say I ate it for lunch too)

(so I kinda went cooking crazy this weekend as I'm sure you've noticed so far. I also made a bunch of veggie stock and froze it in ice cube trays and in 2 cups portions as well. I made about eight cups and used a bunch of fresh herbs (tarragon, rosemary, oregano, thyme, parsley) with 1 quartered onion, some chopped carrots, corn cobs, garlic, peppercorns, etc. I also made pumpkin puree (halve a pumpkin, rub with oil, roast 45 minutes at 350. scoop out inside. how easy is that??). then I made some pumpkin muffins for the week)
.....then I spent the rest of my weekend doing dishes. also, I bought a dress (for the last wedding of this wedding season we are attending), cleaned up my garden and compost bins and did the laundry. I feel pretty accomplished. and full.
so, how was your weekend?

6 comments:

  1. it's Kurt Halsey art. He's one of my faves! I will try and get some more tattoo pictures up. I am thinking I am going to go tomorrow and get a small one (happy b-day to me) and I will post about it then. I can also say, without a doubt, I wish you lived closer, too! We could be anxious together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa- he is too cool! happy birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yes we could be such good anxious friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness. all of your lovely ladies and your apple picking!!!!
    i really really wanna apple pick ;-)
    looks like you had a blast

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are TOO cute! apple picking sounds flabbing delightful. wish there was an apple tree anywhere near me. sad day. you are too fantastic with your recipes missy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! my weekend was no where near as productive as this. maybe it was - we set up for a wedding, drove all over maryland to see family and then made pumpkin muffins (from a box) on monday. so, somewhat productive... but seriously, you made vegetable stock?! AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  6. l&l- it was super fun!

    lizzie- i really want to plant a fruit tree in my yard. i'll ship you some fruit if it works out!

    angie- ha ha thank you! p.s. any weekend where pumpkin muffins are made is a productive weekend!

    ReplyDelete