Sunday, November 28, 2010

(cue the jaws theme)



so there I was innocently making turkey stock and there it was.

so there I was innocently making turkey noodle soup and there it was.

so there I was innocently stuffing my face with leftover pumpkin spice cookies and there it was.

so there I was innocently lounging away my friday on the couch watching 'diners drive-ins and dives' while drinking tea and cringing at Guy Fieri's awful catchphrases and there it was.

the holiday season is here, people. and for some reason, it seems way earlier than last year.

I have officially bitten off all my nails.

I spent all of Saturday with my best friend shopping for things to make gifts with (meaning we went to the fabric store, antique store and to savers). I did buy a chunk of things yesterday at jo-ann fabrics too. yet I feel so behind! I am in a panic! no decorations up, no completed gifts, some kind of event every weekend until christmas, yikes! why can't I get a couple days of relaxation post thanksgiving before christmas shows up and ruins my laziness er relaxing?

in the spirit of the season, here is one of the gifts I made last year for your DIY pleasure:

spiced wine:
  • 1 orange, sliced
  • 1/2 lemon, sliced
  • 1 vanilla bean
  • Peel from 1 orange (orange part only, removed with vegetable peeler)
  • 6 whole cloves
  • 1 750-ml bottle dry red wine (such as Côtes du Rhône or Merlot)
  • 1/2 cup framboise eau de vie or brandy
  • 6 tablespoons sugar

Combine sliced orange and lemon, vanilla bean, orange peel and cloves in large glass jar. Pour wine over. Cover and place in cool dark area for 2 weeks. Be sure to strain so family and friends don't choke on cloves. Add framboise and sugar to wine; stir until sugar dissolves. Pour mixture into wine bottle or decorative bottle. Cork bottle and place in cool dark area for at least 1 week. (Can be made 6 weeks ahead. Store in cool dark area.

to give as a gift: go to salvation army. buy tons of fun knitted sweaters. wash. cut off sleeves. sew one end of sleeve. insert bottle of spiced wine. thread ribbon through sweater or tie one on. hand to recipient. hope they haven't given up drinking.

7 comments:

  1. how exciting! I love the 4-week rush to Christmas! I've got my craft materials ready and will be making more egg ornaments this year (like last year) for nieces and nephews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I love the sweater idea and may use it! I'm going to try making infused vodkas! mmmmmmmmmm...boooooze

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm, spiced wine! Love the kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yumm i really want to try this recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds delicious! I definitely want to try to make that!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, I definitely posted a comment here yesterday and now I don't see it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. thom- egg ornaments?! I need the how-to!

    jen- good luck! I'm making peppermint & cranberry ones!

    jolynn- yes, that is quite the cat

    L&L- its very tasty!

    Lizzie- do it!!! its worth it

    Lisa- oh no, why is it eating my comments??

    ReplyDelete