Wednesday, September 15, 2010

music music music

(I really wanted to post a youtube video of Alf rocking out since that was the first result when I googled 'rocking out' but you tube won't let me embed it. lame.)

So my friends, I am actually doing one of the items from my list (#29)! I have 2 new cds: the new Black Keys and the new Brandon Flowers. I really like them both so far. In the spirit of music talks, here is my list of some of my favorite cds that I have played to death but still love (in no particular order):

1- Neutral Milk Hotel- In an Aeroplane Over the Sea
When I listen to this cd, I immediately picture myself in a friend's bedroom in high school, sitting cross legged on her floor, pouring through her cd books. I saw this cd and decided to give it a try since the name was so bizarre. I am so glad I did. This cd reminds of high school and college and just loving life.
2- The Killers- Sam's Town
I love this from start to finish and back again. Me and Ry were watching a dvd of their London concert the other day and there is something so amazing about watching a concert and liking every single song (The only time I have ever attended a concert where I knew every song at the time was The Decmberists. If I went to one their concerts now, that would no longer be the case). We played 'When You Were Young' at the wedding which might be my favorite song ever by them. Love love love The Killers.
3- Neko Case- Middle Cyclone
Please note: This goes for pretty much all Neko Case cds (it is tied with Fox Confessor). I went through a phase where all I listened to was Neko Case. And it was awesome. She is my idol. I mean, how cool is she? I would love to see her live. If that happens, I would love to call my super cool cousin Nicole up and see her together!
4- Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins- Rabbit Fur Coat
Please note: This pretty much goes for all Jenny Lewis/Rilo Kiley cds. I looove Under the Blacklight too. Also, I want Jenny & Johnny! If Neko Case is my idol, Jenny is my number 2. I remember watching her on Elvis Costello's Spectacle and thinking 'who the hell looks good in overalls?' but she totally did.
5- Josh Ritter- The Animal Years
This album reminds me of my husband. I love it. Especially 'Wolves'.
6- The Shins- Oh Inverted World
Close second: chutes too narrow. Reminds of college and going to Poland. I only brought about 4 cds with me to Poland so this got played alot. I love the way it begins. I remember being so jealous when Rory from Gilmore Girls saw them on Spring Break. so jealous.
7- The Smoking Popes- Destination Failure
This will forever remind me of my best friend. Just one of the reasons it is so awesome. Just try to listen to 'Pretty Pathetic' and not feel like they completely nailed that justbrokeupandfeelcompletelywreckedandawful feeling. Also, they do a cover of pure imagination which is rad.
8- Liz Phair- Exile in Guysville
Loved this cd in high school. Listened to it for the first time again a couple months ago and fell in love with it all over again.
9- Modest Mouse- Good News for People Who Love Bad News
There are some cds that will forever be 'driving cds'. This is a good one. I am sort of obsessed with Ocean Breathes Salty and Black Cadillacs.
10- Passion Pit- Manners
This cd really got me through the final crunch time in planning out wedding. For that, I will be forever grateful to it. Also, I don't think I am capable of getting sick of Little Secrets.


and if we want to get old school (which of course we do):
1- get up kids- something to write home about (close second: four minute mile)
2- less than jake- losing streak
3- reel big fish- turn the radio off
4- weezer- pinkerton (second place: blue album)
5- radish- restraining bolt (my AIM name was littlepinkstars and I really wanted to marry Ben Kweller....well if things didn't work out with me and Rider Strong)


what are your go to cds?

5 comments:

  1. If I were to do a similar list it would be longer than The Brothers Karamazov.

    Even if I were to do just a list of albums that reminded me of you, it would be really long.

    I do like to listen to Death Cab's "Plans", because it reminds me of the weekend we first moved in together.

    I also like Nelly Furtado's "Promiscuous Girl" because it reminds me of getting Pirate and sneaking out in the middle of the night to watch the "Superman Returns" trailer over and over again.

    I also like listening to Nick Lowe's "Pinker and Prouder Than Previous" because even though the albums kind of a stinker, it reminds me of a really awesome summer day we spent down in Plymouth.

    I don't know. There are hundreds more. I just wanted to leave you a comment, because this new blog is awesome and all your old CMB fans should be checking this shit out. It's hot.

    Also, "Either Side of the Same Town" by Elvis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ry- I love that promiscuous girl reminds us of one another :)

    Elizabeth- thanks dear! me and lists are very close

    ReplyDelete
  3. RIDER!!! (if you can't tell yet, I am just discovering this blog and am now systematically commenting on everything I missed) :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. lisa- hooray! welcome back to blogland!

    ReplyDelete