Thursday, August 4, 2011

droppin' beets.

Link
(found on pinterest, original from here)

The other day my good friend came over to get some vegetables from my garden. It is producing lots these days but too much for just me and Ryan. She took some squash, zucchini and some beets. I have never grown beets before so I was unsure when to pull them (like I am with all root vegetables). I googled it and learned that I can pull them as soon you can see 'the beets' shoulders'.

I thought that was just about the cutest thing I ever read.

If you're interested, I could see all their shoulders.

If you find yourself with some beets, here are some lovely recipes I've stumbled upon: here, here and here.

6 comments:

  1. The title is so punny, I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, that picture is adorable. All veggies should have shoulders.

    And if you're a fan of The Office, you could always channel your inner "Dwight" and become a beet expert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! Our little veggie garden is producing just enough for us, so I've had to beg produce off my grandma for canning. But, you've done amazing!

    P.S. That picture is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's also beet cake, if you're interested in the recipe....

    ReplyDelete
  5. jo- love me some puns :)

    shannon- agreed! shoulders for all!

    elizabeth- aw thanks :)

    heather- good plan! I need to can soon too

    craftosaurus- I've always wanted to want that! I still have some beets in the garden so perhaps I will!

    ReplyDelete