Thursday, September 1, 2011

a tiny gymnast


(image from here)

We recently went to the hospital for an ultrasound. They were testing for Downs Syndrome and Spina Bifida amongst other things. We were told they needed to take measurements of the neck and spine. The baby had other ideas. He/she kept turning around, rolling, doing somersaults and a baby version of handstands, putting hands in front of their face. I changed positions, went the bathroom, even had to take a walk down the corridor, in the hopes they would 'settle down' into a position they could take a photo of. Eventually, about 2 or 2 1/2 hours later, we got the picture. After we were done, Ryan said to the sonographer, 'When you asked earlier if we had any family history you should be concerned about, I probably should have mentioned then that I have a history of being a pain in the ass'.

I may have my hands full here.

7 comments:

  1. My son was just like this! He was so active that when I was pregnant with my daughter, I thought there was something wrong with her because she wasn't even close to half as active as he was. Turns out, she was just calm and he was a wild animal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha, your husband is pretty funny.

    Our little one wasn't THAT bad at our ultrasound, but she kept face planting on the uterine wall. I fear for her athletic abilities down the road. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love. Love this. And your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your site from happy sighs. I'm 18 weeks along, and we're planning on using some hippos in our nursery. I just checked out your etsy shop, and your hippo is so cute! I might have to buy that...!

    I've followed your blog, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been kind of a day for me, and reading this has cheered me infinitely. :) I can't wait to see if he or she keeps up the gymnastics when you can actually feel it. There could be some serious uterus punching in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hilarious!

    my little guy kept his back to the sonographer the whole time, with his thumb in his mouth. i had bruises from her pummeling me to try to get him to turn around. stubborn. like his mom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh man, ryan sounds like he's gonna be an awesome cheerer-upper during any discomfort, lady. that's great to hear. your tiny gymnast is going to be one huge, loveable, adorable pain in the ass. :)

    ReplyDelete